Invitation to Contract Disclosure
Haven Disability Insurance
Renewability, Cancellability and Termination: This policy is Guaranteed Renewable until the Policy Anniversary on or next following the Insured's 65th birthday. During such period, We shall not unilaterally make any change in any provision of the Policy while the Policy is In Force, except that the company may make changes in premium rates by classes.
This Policy will terminate on the earliest of:
- the date immediately following the end of the Grace Period, if premiums for this Policy are not paid prior to the end of the Grace Period;
- the date of the Insured’s death, and We will refund any unearned premium to the premium payor;
- the day following the date We receive Your Written Request to terminate this Policy at Our Service Center or Home Office and We will refund any unearned premium to the premium payor;
- the Policy Anniversary on or next following the Insured’s 65th birthday.
The policy also sets forth certain limits.
Elimination Period: The policy does contain an Elimination Period. This is the period immediately following the start of disability during which benefits do not accrue.
Exceptions, Reductions and Limits of the Policy:
This Policy does not provide any benefit for any Disability that results from or is sustained during:
- hang-gliding, skydiving, parachuting, ultralight, soaring, ballooning and parasailing;
- aviation (operating, learning to operate, serving as a crew member of, or jumping or falling from an aircraft, including those which are not motor-driven), other than as a fare-paying passenger on a scheduled or charter flight operated by a scheduled airline, as well as travel in an aircraft or device used for testing or experimental purposes, used by or for any military authority, or used for travel beyond the earth's atmosphere;
- substance abuse (alcoholism or drug addiction); (Not applicable in MI, OR, VT)
- cosmetic surgery, excluding reconstructive surgery when the surgery is incidental to or follows surgery resulting from trauma, infection or other diseases of the involved part and reconstructive surgery because of congenital disease or anomaly resulting in a functional defect;
- commission of, or attempt to commit, a felony under local, state or federal law,
- engagement in an illegal occupation or activity;
- a period of legal incarceration in a penal or correctional institution of more than 7 days or during a period of legal detainment of more than 7 days (such time will also not count towards the Elimination Period);
- legal intoxication defined by state law where the loss occurs, or loss that results from the use of narcotics or other controlled substances, unless administered on the advice of a Physician; (Not applicable in DC, MI, OR, UT, VT, WA)
- normal pregnancy or childbirth;
- Mental or Nervous Disorders; (Not applicable in MI, OR, TX, VT)
- attempted suicide or intentionally self-inflicted Injury;
- declared war or undeclared war or act of war, participation in a riot or insurrection, or active duty in the armed forces of any nation or international governmental authority or units auxiliary thereto or the National Guard or similar government organizations (except that this limitation or exclusion shall not be construed to deny an Owner any statutory or regulatory rights to suspend coverage while the Insured is serving in the armed forces of any nation or international governmental authority or units auxiliary thereto or the National Guard or similar government organizations; or
- that results from, or is contributed to, by a disease, disorder or physical condition that was excluded as a result of the underwriting process by name or specific description.
Suspension, surrender or revocation of a professional license or certificate does not alone constitute Disability.
Loss that results from a specific Injury or specific Sickness not verifiable by objective medical means will be limited to a three month Benefit Period. An Injury or Sickness is considered not verifiable by objective medical means if it cannot be confirmed by medically acceptable clinical or laboratory diagnostic techniques.
Limitation Of Coverage For Pre-Existing Conditions. We will not provide Monthly Benefits for a Disability that is caused or contributed to by, or resulting from, a Pre-Existing Condition that began:
- before the Policy has been In Force for 12 months, for any Pre-Existing Condition about which the application did not seek disclosure (meaning We did not ask You or the Insured, if different, about the condition on the application); or
- before the Policy has been In Force for 24 months, for any Pre-Existing Condition about which the application sought disclosure (meaning We did ask You or the Insured, if different, about the condition on the application).
A “Pre-Existing Condition” means a condition for which symptoms existed that would cause an ordinarily prudent person to seek diagnosis, care or treatment within a one-year period preceding the Issue Date, or for which medical advice, diagnostic testing, or treatment was recommended by a Physician or received from a Physician, or for which a qualified health professional prescribed drugs or medications within a two-year period preceding the Issue Date, and whether disclosed on the application or not.
Suspension Of Policy While In Military Service. You may suspend the Policy if the Insured enters or extends active military service for more than 90 days. If the Insured is released from active duty within 5 years, coverage may be restored within 90 days of the Insured’s release. We will not require proof of insurability.
Haven Disability is a Short Term Disability Insurance Policy (ICC20-HLSTDI-POL) issued by Massachusetts Mutual Life Insurance Company (MassMutual), Springfield, MA 01111-0001 and offered exclusively through Haven Life Insurance Agency, LLC. Policy and rider form numbers and features may vary by state and may not be available in all states. Our Agency license number in Arkansas is 100139527.